Amazing articles on just about every subject...

Chronology Of American Operations In France

( Originally Published 1918 )

The following chronology of the major operations of the American Expeditionary Forces in France from April 28 to November 11, 1918, was prepared by General March and was included in his report to the Secretary of War:

April 28-29, 198—A sector in the vicinity of Breteuil, northwest of Montdidier, was occupied by the First Division.

May 28—Cantigny was captured by the First Division. A detachment of our troops, reinforced by French artillery, successfully attacked the enemy on a front of about 2,200 yards. We occupied Cantigny, captured some 200 prisoners, and inflicted severe losses on the enemy.

June 10--The Second Division attacked in Bois de Belleau, advancing the line 900 yards on a front of 111_, miles, capturing 300 prisoners, 30 machine guns, 4 trench mortars, and stores of small arms, ammunition, and equipment. Held all of Hill 204 down to the village on the northeast slope, thus preventing the enemy from concentrating his forces in the northern part of Chateaù-Thierry.

June 11—The Second Division continued its advance in the Bois de Belleau, capturing more prisoners and machine guns and two 77 mm. fieldpieces.

Our aviators executed their first bombing raid, drop-ping numerous bombs on the railway station at Dommary-Baroncourt, northwest of Metz. All of our planes returned in safety.

The artillery of the Second Division shelled the enemy in their areas, preventing concentration near Torcy, Monthiérs, Hill 128, and La Gonetrie farm. It discovered and dispersed a group of 210 machine guns in the wood south of Etrepilly. The Second Division captured the last of the German positions in the Bois de Belleau, taking 50 prisoners, machine guns, and trench mortars.

July 18—French and American troops advanced under the cover of a heavy storm on the front between Sois-sons and Chateau-Thierry. The greatest advance was in the northern part of the sector, where a depth of 5 miles was attained, and we reached the heights southwest of Soissons, dominating the railroad and highways.

July 24—The advance of the Franco-American forces continued, and in the evening the line ran east of Buzancy to Tigny, to Hartennes, Grand Rozoy, Ouichy-le-Château, Armentières, Coincy, Courpoil, and then joined the old line at Jaulgonne. West of Rheims Marfaux was retaken and the line ran from Aubilly, through Mézy, and joined the old line at Coulommes.

July 25—The line ran from the Ourcq to the Marne, where the allied troops advanced 6 kms. in the center and 3 to 4 kms. on the flanks. The line in the evening ran from Armentières to Bruyéres, the eastern edge of the Bois de la Tourmelle, the eastern edge of Beuvardes, the eastern edge of le Charnel, the cross roads at Gros Chêne, la Boulangére, the northern edge of Treloup, Chassins.

July 26—The line ran: Nanteuil, Notre Dames, Hill 123, Hill 18, la Misére, Hill 100, southwestern part of Bois de la Tournelle, Hill 111, le Charnel. Hard fighting continued all day and the French and Americans steadily advanced on Fére.

July 27—The Forty-second Division tried to cross the Ourcq, but was driven back by heavy artillery fire.

July 28—The Forty-second Division renewed the assault, crossed the river, and after vigorous fighting took Seringes-et-Nesles, Nesles, and Sergy.

The Twenty-eighth Division held the line about 1 kilometer north of the Ourcq. During the day slow progress was made, the enemy slowly falling back after bitter rearguard action.

July 29—Franco-American troops advanced 3 kilometers from Oulchy to Villers Agron and Bougneux, Saponay, Seringes, Nesles, and Cierges, were included within our lines.

July 30—Our pressure continued on the right bank of the Ourcq. The railroad station at Fére and Cayenne farm remained in our possession, We lost Seringes-et-Nesles but re-occupied Sergy, Hill 312, and the woods 8 kilometers north of Ronchères.

July 31—The Twenty-eighth Division retook Seringes-et-Nesles. The Thirty-second Division attacked in Crimpettes Woods with success; the woods were taken, and troops advanced to Cierges. German counter-attacks were brilliantly repulsed with the bayonet, and an immense amount of material and equipment was taken from the enemy.

August 3—After continuous fighting late in the evening Soissons was taken, and a line extending along the Vesle to between Braisne and Bazoches was being consolidated. South of the Aisne our troops drove back the enemy rear guard. Acting with the Fourth Division, the Thirty-second Division reached a line from Ville Savoye to a point just north of St. Gilles.

August 4—A large enemy patrol attacked in the vicinity of Coulees but was driven off by a combat group of the Fifth Division, which had been reenforced. Our troops were very active in patrolling, having sent out over seven reconnaissance, combat, and ambush patrols.

The Thirty-second Division took Fismes. In an eight-day battle this division forced the passage of the Ourcq, took prisoners from six enemy divisions, met, routed, and decimated a crack division of the Prussian Guards, a Bavarian division, and one other enemy division, and drove the enemy line back for 16 kilo-meters.

August 6—The Twenty-eighth Division launched an attack the objective of which was the north bank of the Vesle. The attack was met by excedingly heavy machine-gun and artillery fire. On the right our troops succeeded in crossing the river and advancing to the highway which runs from Rheims to Soissons. On the left the advance was held up by the enemy's fire.

August 7-The units on the left advanced across the river and occupied the railroad lines on the north bank. The casualties resulting from this operation were considerable. A violent enemy counterattack was completely repulsed, and a number of prisoners and machine guns were left in our hands.

August 8—As a result of successful operations on the evening of August 8, 11 companies of infantry and some machine-gun detachments of the Twenty-eighth Division reached the north bank of the Vesle.

August 10—The Twenty-eighth Division launched an attack in Fismette. A creeping barrage moved ahead of them. They made some progress, but were soon exposed to flanking fire from both the east and the west and were forced to fall back into Fismette. The position here was very difficult. Flanking machine-gun fire came from both sides and heavy casualties were reported. A box barrage was placed around the town and ammunition was sent up. The town was held by one battalion, with one machine-gun platoon, which received orders to hold the position at all cost.

August 17—After strong artillery preparation the infantry of the Fifth Division captured the village of Frapelle and consolidated the lines north of the road running into the town from the southeast.

August 19—The enemy continued shelling Frapelle positions and the artillery of the Fifth Division replied actively.

August 21—The Fifth Division repulsed hostile attack with heavy loss to the enemy and with no casualties to ourselves.

The Thirty-second Division acting with the Tenth French Army advanced to and held Juvigny.

The Seventy-seventh Division cleared the small wood between the Vesle and the railroad west of Château du Diable.

September 3—During the five days prior to September 3 the Thirty-second Division made daily advances against the enemy, gaining 6 kilometers through the very difficult terrain and against violent opposition. It captured 11 officers and 920 enlisted men. A large amount of guns and munitions were captured. A patrol of the Seventy-seventh Division penetrated to Bazoches.

September 5—French and American units advanced in the Oise-Rheims area as far as Condé. Strong patrols of the Seventy-seventh Division were pushed forward north of the Vesle and were encountered by machine-gun resistance. Our casualties were slight.

The Twenty-eighth Division crossed the Vesle in force and pursued the enemy to the north.

September 6—The artillery of the Twenty-eighth Di-vision directed harassing and destructive fire on the Aisne bridges, while the enemy harassed the villages in our rear areas, using a great number of gas shells.

September 7—The Twenty-eighth Division repulsed two enemy counterattacks. The Seventy-seventh Division drove the enemy out of La Cendiere Farm and have passed the Aisne Canal._

September 12—After four hours' bombardment our troops advanced on the south and west flanks of the St. Mihiel salient at 5 A. M. By 7.S0 A. M. the forces operating on the south had reached the southern edge of the Bois Juli, the Quart de Réserve, and the north-ern edge of the Bois de Mort Mare. By noon they had reached Essey and Vieville and the army operating in the difficult ground in the west had captured Les Eparges. At 6 r. M. the troops had reached a point 1 kilometer east of Senzey and had taken St. Remy and Combres. During the night the troops on the western flank of the salient advanced 5 miles in five hours,. reaching Vigneulles by 3 A. M.

September 14—There was general advance along the en-tire line, and the American Army established itself on the following front: Manheulles, Fresnes, Pintheville, St. Hilaire, Doncourt, northeast of Woel, south end of the Etang de Lachaussée, Vandieres, and across the Moselle at Champey.

September 17—American troops advanced along the Moselle within 300 yards at Paguy.

September 8—The Twenty-sixth Division made two raids during the night. One against St. Hilaire was without result, as the enemy had retired; the other against the Bois de Warville resulted in the capture of 15 prisoners.

September 19—The Ninety-second Division repulsed an attempted enemy raid in the St. Die sector.

September 20—The Ninety-second Division repulsed two enemy raids in the region of Lesseux.

September 26-The First Army attacked northwest of Verdun on a front of 20 miles and penetrated to an average depth of 7 miles.

September 27—The One hundred and seventh Regiment of the Twenty-seventh Division attacked east of Bellicourt and attained its objectives.

September 29—In the Argonne, the Americans met with furious resistance. Their losses were heavy, and they were unable to do more than hold their own.

September 30—The Twenty-seventh and the Thirtieth Divisions took prisoners north of St. Quentin totaling 210 officers and more than 1,200 men.

October 1—The twenty-eighth Division repulsed a hostile counterattack on the entire divisional front in the Aire Valley, with very heavy losses to the enemy.

October 3—The Second Division, operating with the fourth French Army, made an advance of 2 kilometers, reaching Medéah farm in the afternoon. In the evening the Second Division advanced about 3 kilometers, and their line ran from Medéah farm southwest along the road to Blanc Mont. They captured 1,000 prisoners, and casualties were estimated at 500.

October 4—The First Division attacked on both sides of Exermont, and made progress in spite of strong opposition from the enemy, who resisted with machine guns in organized opposition. Approximately 300 prisoners were taken, and our casualties were I,500.

October 5—The First Division captured Ariétal farm, and the line was advanced 400 yards beyond. The Sixth Division repulsed a large enemy raid on Sondernach.

October 7—A brigade of the Eighty-second Division advanced 7 kilometers, occupying Hill 223, north of Chatel Chéhéry; 46 prisoners were captured, including 1 officer. Our casualties were light. Later the enemy counterattacked and reoccupied Hill 223, north of Chatel Chéhéry.

October 8—The Fifty-ninth Brigade of the Thirtieth Di-vision attacked, at 5 A. M., over a front of 5,000 yards, gained all first objectives by 9 A. M., and second objectives by noon. Fifty officers, 1,500 men, and four 101-millimeter guns were taken.

October 8-9—The second Corps advanced about 7 miles on a front of 4,000 yards and captured about 2,000 prisoners and 30 guns.

October 9—In spite of strong resistance the First Di-vision advanced in the sector east of Fléville and captured 230 prisoners.

The Thirty-third Division, operating with the Seventeenth French Army Corps, attacked early in the morning north of Consenvoye and reached its final objective about 9 A. M. About 650 prisoners were taken.

October 10—The first Corps reached Cornay-La-Besogne Ridge and passed Malassise farm, east of Grand Ham. The Sixtieth Brigade of the Thirtieth Division advanced 6 kilometers, reaching the Selle River, and held the St. Benin-St. Souplet-La Haie-Menneresse line. Up to the evening of the 9th, 50 officers, I,800 men, and 32 guns were captured.

October 12—The Fourth Division repulsed two counter-attacks by machine-gun fire, with severe loss to the enemy.

October 13—An attack on Grandpré this morning met very heavy machine-gun fire, and troops of the Second Corps were finally forced to retire south of the Aire. A hostile counterattack at 8 P. M. south of Landres-et-Georges was repulsed.

The Eighty-first Division repulsed an enemy raid in St. Die sector.

The Seventy-seventh Division took Grandpré.

October 17—The Twenty-ninth Division advanced to the summit of Bois de la Grand Montagne, east of the Meuse.

The Forty-second Division took Côte de Châtillon.

The Second Battalion of the Seventy-sixth Division reached the northern edge of Bois des Logcs, west of Champigneulle.

In an attack on a 4,000-yard front from St. Souplet to Molain our troops advanced 3,000 yards against very stiff resistance. All counterattacks repulsed. Prisoners taken were estimated at 2,500.

October 19—The Thirtieth Division attacked with the British at dawn and advanced 2,000 yards. Prisoners captured since the morning of the 17th. totaled 44 officers and over 1,500 men. The Seventy-eighth Division pushed their lines forward to Bellejoyeuse farm and began to mop up the Bois des Loges.

October 21—In attacks on the Bois des Rappes the Fifth Division met with stubborn resistance by machine guns, supported by artillery and infantry fire. It captured the entire position with 170 prisoners, including 5 officers. An enemy counterattack, supported by heavy artillery fire, was repulsed with heavy losses. The Fifth and Third Divisions took Hill 297 and Bois des Rappes. Attacking in the evening, the Eighty-ninth Division occupied the northern and eastern edge of the Bois de Bantheville.

October 23—Troops of the Third Corps reached the ridge north of the village of Bantheville, taking 171 prisoners. The twenty-ninth Division captured the ridge of Bois d'Etrayes and Hill 361.

October 27—The Seventy-eighth Division entered Belle-joyeuse farm, northeast of Grandpré, and found it occupied. The occupation of the right of way north and northwest of Grandpré was completed.

October 30—0n October 30 patrols were active along the entire front of the Twenty-eighth Division. The Thirty-third Division, in the face of heavy artillery and machine-gun fire, north of Grandpré, advanced its lines and occupied the Bellejoyeuse farm. On October 30, 2,000 high explosive and gun shells fell in the vicinity of Fresnes. One of the divisional patrols captured five prisoners.

November 1—The troops of the First Army captured Clery-le-Grand. North of Ancreville they took 53 additional prisoners and continued their advance into the Bois des Bantheville. During the night of November 1-2 the troops of the Thirty-seventh Division consolidated their positions and effected a crossing of the River Scheldt, confronted by enemy machine-gun and rifle fire. The Ninety-first Division, supported by artillery and machine-gun fire, rapidly advanced over 6 kilometers in spite of enemy artillery and machine-gun fire. The enemy was driven from the west bank of the Scheldt and at noon the heights northwest of Audenarde were taken.

November 2—On the evening of November 2 the troops of the Seventy-eighth Division drove the enemy from the Bois des Loges and closely followed his retreat. The Ninety-second Division, in spite of machine-gun resistance, pushed forward and advanced the line 3 kilometers.

November 9—The Ninety-first Division, in spite of active`machine-gun resistance, forced their way towards the bank of the Scheldt in the vicinity of Eyne.

November 4—On November 4 a brigade of the Seventy-ninth Division attacked an enemy sector, taking 81 prisoners and 8 machine guns, encountering strong resistance and repulsing several counterattacks.

November 5—On November 5 the troops of the Seventy-seventh Division engaged in severe fighting_, overcame strong enemy resistance along the entire line. The artillery was active, firing on the enemy's retreating columns: Harassing artillery fire was returned by the enemy. Aviation was active on both sides. The enemy flew over our front lines and delivered machine-gun fire on our advancing troops. Two enemy planes were brought down.

November 6—Our troops of the First Corps continued their successful advance, forcing the enemy to retire. The towns of Flabas, Raucourt, Haracourt, and Autre-court were taken, and patrols pushed on as far as the Meuse. Large quantities of matériel were captured during the advance.

Following heavy bombardment on the enemy's di-visions the troops of the Fifth Division attacked, rapidly overcoming the enemy's resistance, capturing Lion-deviant-Dun, Murvaux, Fontaine, and Vilosnessur-Meuse, taking more than 250 prisoners.

Novcmber 7—The troops of the Second Division cleared the west bank of the Meuse of the remaining machine guns and snipers in the vicinity of Mouzon. The Fifth Division, supported by artillery fire, continued their advance despite the enemy's continued resistance, principally with machine guns. Most of the artillery crossed to the east bank of the Meuse, following in support of the Infantry. Additional prisoners were taken, including 2 officers and 132 men.

November 8--The patrols of the Second Division crossed the Meuse south of Mouzon. The troops of the Thirty-third Division, aided by barrage fire, carried out a successful raid on Château Aulnois, capturing 1 officer and 22 men. Strong combat patrols were sent out from the lines of the Ninety-second Division (colored). Prisoners were captured and casualties inflicted on the enemy.

November 9—On midnight of November 9 the patrols of the Fifth Division drove back the enemy, inflicting many casualties and capturing 6 prisoners. The troops consolidated and, despite stubborn resistance, principally from machine guns, drove the enemy from Bois du Canol and La Sentinelle and captured Brande ville. In these operations 47 prisoners, 125 machine guns, and other matérial were captured. A strong combat patrol was active along the entire front of the Thirty-third Division, meeting with heavy machine-gun resistance from the enemy, and a patrol of one company captured 8 prisoners in the Bois de Warville. The troops of the Seventy-ninth Division advanced in a generally northeasterly direction, with the right flank in Bois de Damvillers. The Forty-second and units of the First seized the heights south of Sedan.

November 10—The Thirty-third Division carried out a successful raid on Marcheville, occupying the town and taking 80 prisoners, including 3 officers. Strong patrols from the line engaged in sharp fighting. The Thirty-seventh Division, operating with the Thirty-fourth French Army Corps, attacked in order to force a crossing of the Scheldt. Violent enfilading machine-gun fire, heavy artillery, and the flooded condition of the terrain delayed the construction of bridges and crossings. In the face of continuous heavy artillery fire, supported by machine guns, the troops advanced about 2 kilometers. The Ninetieth Division advanced toward Baâlon, encountering no resistance. The Ninety-second Division reached Bois Frehaut and captured 710 prisoners.

November 11—The Third Division advanced 3 kilometers east of Bréhéville. Despite increased resistance by machine-gun and artillery fire, the Fifth Division continued to advance, capturing 18 prisoners, 3 large-caliber guns, 6 minenwerfers, and considerable matérial. In accordance with the terms of the armistice, hostilities on the front of the American armies ceased at 11 A. M.

Home | More Articles | Email: