Burlington To Montreal
( Originally Published 1919 )
R. 5 § 6. Burlington to Montreal. 99.0 m.
This route traverses the islands at the head of Lake Champlain and leads through a sparsely settled country to Montreal. The road is good gravel to the Canadian line, and the macadam of the King Edward Highway from there on.
An alternate route leads by way of St. Albans, Swanton, St. Johns, and Chambly. The latter half is fair clay, not feasible in wet weather.
Leaving Burlington by Pearl St. and Colchester Ave., cross the river and the city line into Colchester township.
3.0 WINOOSKI. Alt 190 ft. Pop 4520. Chittenden Co. Settled 1774. Mfg. woolens, brick, and screens.
This is an industrial village at the falls of the Winooski, near which the American Woolen Company's mills are prominent. Following Main St. the road climbs a hill and leads straight on through two crossroads. The lefthand roads lead west-ward to Malletts. Bay. To the right is the village of Colchester Center. The road crosses several brooks, takes the left fork (11.o), and continues to bear left for two miles. After going straight through the crossroads near the hamlet of Champlain (13.0), it crosses an iron bridge and the town line of Milton, bending left and crossing Sand Bar Bridge, a long, narrow structure, to Grand Isle. The Grand Isle County line is midway between the mainland and the island.
21.0 SOUTH HERO. Alt 112 ft. Pop (twp) 605. Grand Isle Co. Settled 1784.
The town was named in honor of Ira Allen. The soil is loamy, producing excellent fruit, and the quiet charm of the countryside .and lake shore brings many summer visitors. The rocks and cliffs that line the shore show curiously twisted and wrenched strata.
Turning to the right the road skirts the shore of Keeler's Bay, crosses the town line, and goes straight through the village of Grand Isle (26.o).
On the western shore of the lake is Plattsburg, N.Y., a garrison town, where the business men's summer military training camp is located. In the waters to the south was fought the Battle of Plattsburg. The lefthand road leads to the Plattsburg ferry (8.o).
The road leads on across a long bridge to North Hero Island, a separate township, named in Ethan Allen's honor. It is more level than Grand Isle, and equally attractive. Several summer camps are situated on these islands.
34.0 NORTH HERO. Alt 116 ft. Pop (twp) 476. County-seat of Grand Isle Co. Settled 1783.
Leaving the village the road crosses a narrow isthmus, over which the Indians carried their canoes, thereby shortening the trip across the lake. To the left is Pelois Bay, at the northern end of which is Dutchmans Point, where the British maintained a blockhouse for thirteen years after the Revolution. Two miles beyond the bay, turn left across the island. The road now crosses the channel of Alburg Passage, reaching the mainland again in Alburg township, and heads north.
Note. The lefthand road (42.o) leads to Isle la Motte, visited by Champlain in 1609. Here the Sieur de la Motte built Fort Ste. Anne in 1666, the furthermost of the chain of strongholds erected as the French base of defense from the Indians, or for attack on the colonies of Britain. General Montgomery made his headquarters here in 1775 on his expedition against Canada, and the British fleet stopped at this point before going to their final defeat at Plattsburg in 1814. A Roman Catholic shrine marks the site of the chapel of the old French fort. Black marble is quarried here, and building stone used in the Brooklyn Bridge, and in the Victoria Bridge at Montreal. A ferry runs from the island to Chazy Landing, N.Y.
48.0 ALBURG. Alt 100 ft. Pop (twp) 1311. Grand Isle Co. Settled by the French, 1731; by the English, 1782.
Alburg is on the northwest border of Vermont. The French made a temporary settlement on Windmill Point, but it soon came into the hands of Ira Allen, for whom the town is named. In the days when mineral springs were popular, Alburg was a thriving resort.
Following the lake shore to West Alburg, the motor ferry transfers travelers to Rouse's Point, N.Y. (51.5). (Toll, driver and car, $1.00 passengers, 15 cts.)
Two miles north of the ferry, off the New York shore, is Fort Montgomery, a picturesque spot, sometimes known as ` Fort Blunder' because the American government discovered that it had been erected on Canadian soil and had to purchase the site from Great Britain.
Still heading northward, the road crosses the Canadian frontier, where a bond must be filed by motorists entering for pleasure purposes for a sojourn of not more than six months.
From this point the route follows the new King Edward Highway, which has a thorough macadam construction. This country is the southern border of the arable St. Lawrence plain, inhabited by French Canadians. The population is sparse, and the road passes through only four inconsiderable villages: Lacolle (61.0), Napierville (69.0), Douglastown (84.0), and Laprairie (90.o).