Poughkeepsie To Albany
( Originally Published 1919 )
R. 4 § 2. Poughkeepsie to Albany. 74.0 m.
Leaving Poughkeepsie by way of Washington St., we pass under the eastern approaches of the great Hudson river bridge and by numerous residential estates.
6.0 HYDE PARK. Alt 8 ft, R.R. Pop. 3019. Dutchess Co.
From here on, the river banks become much lower and the Catskills are a prominent feature in the distance across the river. Just beyond the village on the river front is the F. W. Vanderbilt estate and on the opposite bank is the home of John Burroughs.
Just beyond Staatsburg (10.0) on the right is Dinsmore Point and the residence of the late William B. Dinsmore, once president of the Adams Express Company. The route runs inland, following the State Road to Rhinebeck. The river road passes through Rhinecliff, near which is the estate of Vincent Astor.
16.0 RHINEBECK. Alt 203 ft. Pop (twp) 1548 (1910), 1580 (1915). Dutchess Co. Mfg. carriages and shellac; violet-growing. Ferry to Kingston.
Rhinebeck is the center of the violet-growing industry, to which twenty-five square miles are given over. It is also the distributing center of the region round about. The name is combined from William Beckman, who founded the town, and his native Rhineland. The Beckman House is a fine example of seventeenth century Dutch architecture.
Two miles to the west is Rhinecliff, which is connected with Kingston, opposite, by a steam ferry (toll 30 or 35 cts, passengers 13 cts).
Note. From Rhinecliff a cross-country route leads to Lakeville, Conn., and the Berkshires or the Connecticut region. Passing through Rhinebeck (2.0), on East Market St. the route forks left at the blacksmith's shop (5.5), leading through Rock City (8.5), Lafayette (13.0), into Pine Plains (19.5). Here the lefthand road leads to Great Barrington. Continuing straight on, along Church St., and crossing R.R., the route leads through Culvers Corners (23.5). Bearing right across R.R. and then left on the macadam road through Millerton (29.5), it forks left over R.R. (31.5) to Lakeville (33.5) on Route 5 (p 242).
21.5 RED HOOK. Alt 217 ft. Pop 960. Dutchess Co. Mfg. chocolate; tobacco.
This village is in the midst of a farming district and has tobacco factories. The name is derived from Roode Hoeck which the Dutch applied to a nearby marsh covered with cranberries. The route runs still further inland through Upper Red Hook (25.o). Five miles to the west, on the Hudson, is North Bay, where Fulton built the "Clermont." At the fork, bear left across the county line, immediately passing through Nevis (27.0), named from Alexander Hamilton's birthplace.
29.0 CLERMONT. Alt 226 ft. Pop (twp) 800. Columbia Co.
It was the original seat of the Livingstons, and Chancellor Livingston, the friend of Fulton, named it for the first American steamboat. Opposite is Malden, above which is Kaaterskill Mountain (2145 ft), with its summer hotels.
Beyond take left fork, following State Highway straight through Blue Stores (30.5), a crossroads hamlet.
33.5 LIVINGSTON. Alt 198 ft. Pop (twp) 1620. Columbia Co.
This town was named for Robert R. Livingston. There is a fine view across the river of the `Man in the Mountain' in the Catskills. Catskill, on the west bank, is at the mouth of Catskill Creek, and is a good entrance to the mountains. This was the highest point reached by Hudson's ship, the "Half Moon," but he sent small boats up to Waterloo.
42.0 HUDSON. Alt 150 ft Pop 11,417 (1910), 11,544 (1915). County-seat of Columbia Co. Settled 1784. Mfg. clothing, car wheels, furniture, paper boxes, ice-handling machines, knit goods, foundry products, bricks, tiles, paper, and beer. Ferry to Athens.
The city is picturesquely situated on the slope of Prospect Hill. Promenade Park on the bluff above the steamboat landing commands a fine view of the river and the Catskill Mountains. The town has a river trade and important manufactures with a total value of factory products of over $4,000,000, and here are located two large Portland cement works.
Hudson was settled by thrifty New Englanders from Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard, and though 1r5 miles from the ocean, it success-fully carried on a whaling industry and considerable foreign commerce, both of which were destroyed in the War of 1812.
Note. From Hudson a State Highway leads eastward to South Egremont and the Berkshires. From the Ferry it crosses the city by Front and Warren Sts., at the public square turning left on Columbia St. which is continued as Columbia Turnpike. Claverack (5.o) was probably named for the Dutch "klaver-akker," "clover-field"; but "klaver" may mean "opening" or "side gorge," the latter referring to the creek which here joins the Hudson. The Dutch skippers divided the Hudson into thirteen "racks" or "reaches."
The route then goes over the hills through the hamlet of Hollowville, and Martindale (11.0), following a narrow tributary valley into the broader upper valley of Taghkanick to Craryville (5.0) and Hillsdale (18.0). Here the road rises and on the right is a fine view of Mt. Everett (2624 ft). At (24.0) South Egremont, Mass., it joins Route 5 (p 245).
From the Public Square in Hudson, the main route follows Columbia St. and Green St. to the macadam State Highway over R.R., through the little hamlet of Stottville (45.o), and descends to Stockport (47.5). Here the route turns right, crossing Claverack Creek, and follows along the valley of Kinderhook Creek through Chittenden Falls to Stuyvesant Falls (50.5). Crossing Kinderhook Creek it continues to
54.2 KINDERHOOK. Alt 240 ft. Pop 827 (1915). Columbia Co. Mfg. knit hoods.
Kinderhook was an important coaching center before the railroad came. The ,37th milestone still remains by the grove not far from the cemetery.
One of the finest of the Dutch Colonial houses is that built by Stephen van Alen (1721), on the right as we approach the village. Across the road from the Brick Church is the Van Schaack mansion where Burgoyne was entertained after his capture. A mile or more beyond the village on the Post Road is the Van Alen Homestead (1737), where Katrina van Tassel lived. Still further on is Lindenwald, originally the Van Ness homestead, enlarged and improved by President Van Buren.
56.0 VALATIE. Alt 245 ft. Pop (twp) 1219 (1910), 1410 (1915). Columbia Co. Mfg. upholsterers' gimp, paper, and knit goods.
The route continues north, with the Taconic range to the east.
66.0 SCHODACK CENTER.
The road follows Route 13 to Rensselaer and
74.0 ALBANY (R. 13).