Opening Of Dover Harbour
( Originally Published 1910 )
THE great National Harbour at Dover, which has been in course of construction since 1898, was opened by the Prince of Wales on October 15th. The magnitude of the task which the engineers and con-tractors have brought to such a successful issue is evidenced by the following figures :
The old Admiralty Pier has been lengthened from 1,000 feet to 1,000 yards. Three arms or walls have been constructed measuring 21 miles in length. 66,000 large blocks averaging 35 tons apiece ; 200,000 tons of granite, and 2 1/2 million tons of concrete were used in the work of construction.
The work was carried out by the well-known contractors, Messrs. S. Pearson & Sons, under the direction of the Admiralty engineers, Messrs. Coode, Son & Matthews. In laying the foundation of the sea walls huge diving bells were used, in which gangs of men worked beneath the sea.
Dover Harbour represents a new record in engineering, being the largest artificially enclosed sheet of water in the world. The total area is 610 acres, which allows ample room for twenty-five first-class battleships and their attend-ant smaller craft.
In constructing the Harbour 20 acres of land were reclaimed from the sea.