Common Speech Faults
( Originally Published Early 1900's )
The incorrect expressions italicized in the list below are heard so frequently that many persons believe them to be correct. Run through them, checking every one you are in the habit of saying. Then make a list of the correct expressions and put it where you can refer to it easily. You will soon accustom yourself to using the correct expressions.
DON'T SAY SAY INSTEAD
1. Ain't I? Ain't you? Ain't he?
2. Aren't I?
3. He is the party I meant.
4. I hate him worse every day.
5. He don't, she don't, it don't.
6. If he had of come.
7. What kind of a machine is that?
8. I'm sort of tired.
9. I like these kind.
10. He is dark-complected.
11. Most all men like baseball.
12. You would better go.
13. Don't blame it on me.
14. Use two cupsful of water.
15. I'll write inside of a week.