( Originally Published 1955 )
One of the few painters of any importance from Modena, he did most of his work in Genoa. His art is based on the Byzantine style from Venice that pervaded much of northern Italy until half a century later, but it reflects also the Gothic developments of the contemporary Sienese school. He is first heard of in Genoa in 1364, went to Pisa to finish frescoes begun there by Andrea da Firenze, a purpose that was not fulfilled, and is last heard of again in Genoa in 1383. His decoration of the ducal palace at Genoa is lost but signed and dated panel paintings are extant in Frankfort, Berlin, Turin, and the church of San Giovanni Battista at Alba.