|Antiques Digest||Browse Auctions||Appraisal||Antiques And Arts News||Home|
IMARI WARE: This name is given to a ware made in the province of Hizen in Japan and exported from the port of Imari. The potters were originally Koreans brought from their own country in the 16th century by princes of Japan. The old Imari ware was an article of commerce with the Dutch traders of the 17th century, and imitations were made at Delft, and the later product was also copied at Meissen (Dresden) and Chantilly. Modern Imari ware is inferior to the earlier product.
INDIANA POTTERY CO.: At Troy, Indiana, organized in 1837. James Clews, the famous English potter, was one of those interested. Blue, yellow and Rockingham wares were made, but nothing of superior excellence. The venture was unsuccessful, attributed to the unsuitableness of the clays used and the incompetence of the workmen. Mr. Clews returned to England where he died in 1836, and the work at the pottery ended at about the same time.
INTERNATIONAL POTTERY CO.: This pottery at Trenton, New Jersey, was started in 1878 by James Carr and Edward Clark, for the manufacture of cream-colored and white granite wares. The following year they disposed of the plant to Burgess and Campbell, who have since produced there porcelain of excellent quality. Many of their pieces are characterized by elegance of form and a richness and depth of blue ground seldom surpassed in this country or abroad.
IRONSTONE CHINA: An earthenware made at a factory established in 1797 by Miles Mason (see MASON WARE) at Lane Delph, Staf fordshire, for which Charles Mason, his son, took out a patent in 1813. The body contains a large proportion of flint and slag of ironstone, and it is heavier than porcelain. It was both cheap and durable, and soon secured a large market. A rich shade of blue was a feature of the decoration. In 1851, the manufacture of ironstone china was removed to Shelton and since that time it has continued to be one of the most successful of the Staffordshire products.
ISLEWORTH WARE: A small factory established in 1760 by Joseph Shore which produced some red unglazed earthenware of a highly artistic character. Some of the finer pieces have been mistaken for Elers ware. At first both pottery and porcelain were made here, but porcelain-making was discontinued in 1787. The works were closed in 1825.
ITALIAN FAIENCE AND MAJOLICA: See MAJOLICA.
ITALIAN PORCELAIN: See PORCELAIN, Italian.