|Antiques Digest||Browse Auctions||Appraisal||Home|
HAGUE PORCELAIN: The hard-paste porcelain made at a factory at the Hague, Holland, established in 1775, is a very desirable possession. Its table services were decorated with a beautiful bleu-de'roi color with rich gilding. The factory continued in operation for about ten years.
HAMPSHIRE POTTERY: Factory at Keene, New Hampshire, started work in 1871 producing red ware. Later, stoneware and majolica were added.
HANDLES: See KNOBS.
HAVILAND PORCELAIN: See LIMOGES.
HERCULANEUM WARE: This pottery became the largest and most successful in Liverpool. It was established in 1790 by Richard Abbey, who had formerly been an assistant of John Sadler of transfer-printing fame. Stoneware, black and red unglazed ware, cream ware, both painted and blue-printed, and after 1800, bone china, were made. There is no difficulty in identifying its wares as they are plainly marked with the full name of the place. The factory was operated by men from Staffordshire and, with Staffordshire traditions, they made a great range of under-glaze printed subjects in both brown and blue, also terra cotta vases of good design and small busts of celebrities in stoneware, basalt and white earthenware, the latter frequently painted in enamel colors. The factory was dismantled in 1841.
HILL TOP POTTERY: See ALCOCx (S.) & Co.
HISPANO MORESQUE WARE: This pottery, dating from about the 14th century, was the successor to the much earlier Arabian pottery. Malaga, Valencia and Talavera were identified with the production of this ware. The particular feature of the decoration is the ornament in lustre pigment of a rich, iridescent brown color, sometimes relieved in blue, which is highly effective. Those specimens which we see generally date from the 16th century and are usually unmarked. Of late years there has been a revival of its manufacture in various parts of Spain, but the modern productions are very inferior.
HISTORICAL CHINA: This name was given to a group of Liverpool and Staffordshire products, late 18th and early 19th century, consisting of transfer-printed subjects relating particularly to American views, portraits of American statesmen, Army and Navy heroes and other events like the visit of Lafayette in 1824, the opening of the Erie Canal, etc. The names of the potters making this ware include Enoch Wood, the two Stevensons, Clews, Ridgway, Mayer, Adams, Jackson, Stubbs, Green and others. Some of the pieces are marked but many are unmarked and the makers unidentified, unless it be possible from the style of the border design on the front or surface of the piece. Nearly every potter customarily made use of one distinctive pattern. Until about 1830, blue was the only color used in the Staffordshire potteries. Later a variety of colors were in use. The Liverpool ware was mainly in the form of jugs, with portraits, maps and marine views in black transferprint.
HOCHST PORCELAIN: This was produced at a factory near Mayence, Germany, established about the middle of the 18th century, in which Ringler, a porcelain-maker from Vienna, assisted. The finest productions of the factory were made during the employment of Melchior, a modeler, from 1766 to 1779.
HUNTINGTON (Long Island) POTTERY: The earliest wares of this pottery, last half of 18th century, were made from local red brick clay in shapes of many sorts and sizes. Smudges of darker colorings of brown or black were applied irregularly for decoration. Later, the forms were dipped in a wash of fluid clay, containing red lead, and these came out of the kiln in rich, red shades. This ware was thick, rather soft, and easily broken. At the beginning of the 19th century grey salt-glazed stoneware of a flint-like hardness and often decorated in blue was produced, consisting largely of jugs and crocks. Work in this pottery ceased in 1904.