|Antiques Digest||Browse Auctions||Appraisal||Home|
REDFORD (New York) GLASS WORKS: On the Saranac River near Plattsburg a glass factory started operation in 1832 and continued for about twenty years. Its chief product was window glass but the workmen produced for their own use many fine examples of blown glass of a beautiful green color. John S. Foster, the superintendent, was one of the most able of glass-makers.
REDWOOD (New York) GLASS WORKS: This factory, founded in 1833, was located at Alexandria, and John S. Foster was for a time connected with it. During the thirty years of its existence the workmen made some notable pieces of glass for home use.
ROEMER: A drinking glass much used in Germany and the Netherlands in the 17th century and later, with a cup-like bowl and ribbed feet, built up out of threads of glass. The stem consists of a hollow bulb almost as large as the bowl, often ornamented with blobs (prunts) of glass. See RUMMER.
ROSETTES: Glass in this form in opaque and clear colors, attached to metal screws, was used for the support of mirrors and pictures and for holding back curtains. They were popular first half of 19th century. See KNOBS.
ROUNDEL: The so-called Bull's-eye glass was known also as roundel. This glass was used for windows, door lights, for mortar and pestle and other household purposes, also for lenses on lighting devices.
RUMMER: A drinking glass made in England last half of the 18th century with a curved bowl and a short, thick stem, sometimes collared and supported by a square or round flat foot. Some of them were engraved. They were for use in taverns. See FIRING GLASSES.