|Antiques Digest||Browse Auctions||Appraisal||Antiques And Arts News||Home|
MANTUA (Ohio) GLASS CO. A glass-works was established there in 1821 and for a few years produced window glass and tableware of a light green color, aquamarine and amber, some of which was of excellent quality. The factory was closed in 1829.
MARLBORO STREET GLASS WORKS: See KEENE GLASS WORKS.
MILK GLASS: See GLASS, Milk.
MARVER: See TOOLS.
MCKEE (S.) & CO.: Pittsburgh glass factory started in 1834 to manufacture window glass and bottles, chiefly. In 1850 five sons of Thomas McKee, one of the partners, organized the firm of McKee and Brothers, specializing in pressed-glass tableware in great variety.
MEXICAN GLASS: The making of glass began in Mexico soon after the Conquest, became an important industry, and continued so for two hundred years. Some of it is not only beautifully incised but further enriched with painting, chiefly in gold. In the opinion of Dr. Edwin Atlee Barber this particular style of glass was made at Pueblo, where glass factories are still in existence making flasks, bottles and drinking glasses, clear in color and of pleasing shapes. None in the cut or gilded style is made now, but many small glass-works are making at the present time tableware resembling the early American blown glass.
METAL: The term used for the molten glass without regard to its fashioning. By the addition of broken glass (cullet) (q.v.) to the regular mixture a better quality of metal is obtained.
MILLEFIORI GLASS: An Italian word, meaning the glass of a thousand flowers. Rods of glass of different colors were arranged in bundles, exposed to heat, and then the air squeezed out until they formed a solid mass. When cut across, the design showed exactly the same at each cross section. These were often set in a ball of plain glass for a paper weight. This type of glass was first made by the Romans. The art of making it was rediscovered by the Venetians, and in France in the 19th century paper weights of this glass became very popular. In this country they were made by the New England Glass Co., Sandwich, and other glass-works.
MIRROR GLASS: See GLASS, Mirror.
MOLDED GLASS: See GLASS, Molded.
MOLDS: Molds were made in sections of wood or metal, hinged together, some opening vertically, others horizontally, and the design was cut in intaglio on the inside surface. The glass, whether blown or pressed, was very apt to have a seam where the sections joined unless the mold was new or it fitted tightly. Sometimes the patterns were so arranged that the seams would fall upon part of the ornamentation. Three-section molds were probably used first in the late 18th century and continued in favor until about the middle of the 19th century. The so-called part mold, used with blown glass, was small, with an open top, which gave to the glass its preliminary form, after which it was taken from the mold, reheated and expanded to the required size and shape by blowing in the open. Molds in one piece were used in making glass objects like tumblers, where the top was the largest part. When a piece was small at the top or it had a curved outline, such as a bottle, it was necessary to use a twopiece or a three-piece mold and some pieces were made in four-section molds. The molds for pressed glass are similar to those used for blown glass but the results obtained are quite different. See GLASS, Molded.
MT. VERNON GLASS WORKS: A New York State glass company organized in 1810 and located in the same town. The factory was operated by the Granger brothers for several years. The product appears to have been chiefly bottles, flasks and decanters.
MT. WASHINGTON GLASS CO.: At New Bedford, Massachusetts, was organized in 1837 by Deming Jarves for his son George. Prior to the closing of the factory, 1870, W. L. Libbey was connected there, leaving New Bedford to go to Cambridge as manager for the New England Glass Co. Interest of collectors is chiefly in the late colored ware produced at these works, among which so-called peachblow glass was prominent.
MURANO: The island near Venice where the glass-making was done. See VENETIAN GLASS.
MUSKINGUM COUNTY (Ohio) GLASS WORKS: There were several glass-works in this territory, the earliest of which was established in 1815. Among them were the Whitney Glass Works (q.v.), the Putnam Glass House, the Flint Glass House and the Window Glass House. Their product was mainly bottles, flasks and carboys.