|Antiques Digest||Browse Auctions||Appraisal||Antiques And Arts News||Home|
DECANTERS: The decanter became very popular in England, late 17th and early 18th centuries. The necks were ringed, the bodies globular, and the stoppers were often very decorative. The rings, sometimes one, two or three, were of different designs. English decanters of white glass are descendants of the wine flasks of the Renaissance period. In the 19th century, although the body shapes varied somewhat as the years went by, they still maintained the ringed necks.
DOERFLINGER GLASS: Established by Christopher Doerflinger at Brooklyn, New,York, in 1852. At first flint glass was made of excellent quality, and later glass cutting was included, done at a factory built at Greenpoint, Long Island.
DRINKING GLASSES: There are three groups of English drinking glasses, for wine, ale and beer, and cordial or spirit glasses, and five types: baluster stem, plain stem, airtwist stem, white air-twist stem, and cut stem. In the baluster stem the bowls were thick, their stems bulbous and embellished, if at all, with the tear. First half of the 18th century saw more slender stems and engraved bowls with the tear elongated, also bubble twists, termed air twists, which persisted until about 1760. The twist on 18th-century glasses always descends from right to left. In imitation a reverse direction is usually taken. The white twist stem is much like the air twist, excepting that the twist itself is opaque in white or other color. The white twist had its origin in Venice. Cut-stem glasses even' tually superseded the earlier types. See FIRING GLASSES and RUMMER.
DUBLIN GLASS: Glass-making became an important industry in Dublin early in the 18th century. The production included every kind of glassware, of a slightly yellowish tint, including chandeliers, girandoles and colored glass, which was made for various purposes, plain, gilt and enameled. The first mention of molded Irish glass occurs at Dublin in 1746. Cut glass became a specialty, also, as at Waterford (q.v.). Glass-making in Dublin ended in 1895.
DUTCH GLASS: See Low COUNTRIES GLASS.
DYOTTVILLE GLASS: WORKS Originally known as the Kensington Glass Works, started in 1771 and passing through several hands, until in 1831 Dr. Thomas W. Dyott bought the works. Since that time the factory has been known as the Dyottville Glass Works. This is one of the two oldest glass-works in the country to have had an existence to the present time, the other being at Glassboro, New Jersey. This company in its earlier years made a specialty of bottles and flasks of every kind, and more of their designs were copied by other glass factories than those of any other factory. Dr. Dyott was a manufacturer of patent medicines, and great quantities of the factory products were made especially for medicine for several years. In 1838 he went into bankruptcy and retired from the glass factory.