|Antiques Digest||Browse Auctions||Appraisal||Home|
Milan, Ohio, Shrine
( Article orginally published June 1961 )
A gown worn by Lucy Webb Hayes, wife of President Rutherford B. Hayes, during her stay in the White House is a special feature of the clothing display at the Milan, Ohio, Historical Museum which recently opened for its seventh season. The handsome gown of silk brocade lavishly decorated with pearls and ribbon is one of the delightful collections of yesteryear's wearing apparel to be found on the Museum's second floor.
The Museum is quartered in a large brick house built in 1846 by the physician who assisted at the birth of Thos. A. Edison.
The main floor in addition to items of historical interest has two outstanding collections, with an entire room devoted to each. A doll collection, gift of the late Mildred Smith Coulton of Cleveland, now numbers over 350 dolls, the latest additions recently given by the collector's family being a number of miniatures. The other, an exceptional collection of antique glass, given by Robert D. Mowry, of Chicago, is noted for the rare and beautiful pieces which it contains. Several fine pieces have just been added.
Another main floor attraction especially for male visitors is the Gun Room with firearms and weapons from Revolutionary and Civil War days.
A general store and post office added last year (a veritable super mart of memories) and an, authentic blacksmith shop with its life-size equine patron waiting to be shod are particularly popular with young visitors.
The Museum is open to the public from 1 to 5 p.m. every day except Monday. Special appointments for groups may be made by writing either to the curator, Mrs. Wade Roberts, or the hostess, Mrs. H. J. Collman at Milan, Ohio. There is no charge for admission.