|Antiques Digest||Browse Auctions||Appraisal||Antiques And Arts News||Home|
A.H. Heisey Company/Libbey Glass
The A.H. Heisey Company was established in 1893 at Newark, Ohio. Lead blown and pressed glass constitute the major part of their output. The former, which they term a "lead blown potash glass," is a high quality ware not unlike much of the French and Belgian blown ware in purity, ring, and metal. Certain Heisey secrets linked with unusual refinements of raw materials and polishing processes impart a challenging beauty to their table glass.
Heisey colors practically embrace the full range of the requirements of good taste; from uncolored crystal to the flushed darker hues, they have achieved exceptional brilliance. For instance their mystical plum (bluish red) hue with its flashy overtone of amethyst under artificial light; the brilliant emerald; and the very individual Heisey tangerine shade. Besides these, their rose, amber, blue, and a sandy golden shade are rare examples of crystalline beauty; all quite distinctive and individual, even the lovely rose which has been so widely copied. Together with crystal cutting, Heisey decorations include both single and double etchings and an "all over" etching process. They rarely do enamelling.
The Libbey Glass Manufacturing Company of Toledo, Ohio, is the outgrowth of the old New England Glass Company of South Boston, established in 1818 and acquired by William L. Libbey in 1855. In 1888 when natural gas became so plentiful in Ohio, the company moved to Toledo.
Early in this century the Libbey interests veered almost exclusively to machine production glass, which has continued with only occasional forays into the realm of fine glass. Between 1932 and 1934, under the art guidance of A. Douglas Nash, their experiments and activities in this field were rather spirited, but with subsequent changes in company policies their fine table glass production has been largely discontinued.