Antiques Digest Browse Auctions Appraisal Home

English Border Towns - Berwick, Tweed, Whitadder
THE 'Border' is a magical word, and on either side of a line that constantly varied in the course of English and Scottish victories and defeats, all is enchanted ground, the home of memories of forays and fairies, of raids and recoveries, of loves and battles long ago. In the most ancient times of which record remains, the English sway, on the east, might extend to and include Edinburgh...
English Border Towns - Blackadder, Norham, Flodden, Coldstream, Wark, And The Eden
BUT a step over the moor from Waich Water, across by Twin-Law Cairns and down by the Harecleuch Hill we come to the head-waters of the most considerable of Whitadder's tributaries—Blackadder, 'vulgarly so pronounced,' says the old Statistical Account. Its real name is 'Blackwater,' according to that authority, because it rises out of peaty swamps that impart to its waters a look of sullen gloom.
English Border Towns - Kelso, Roxburgh, Teviot, Kale, And Oxnam
COMING now to Kelso, with Melrose the most pleasing of the towns on Tweed,—we pass the meeting of the waters of Tweed and its largest affluent, Teviot. Kelso has a fine airy square, good streets, and an air of quiet gentility, neighboured as it is by Floors, the palatial seat of the Duke of Roxburghe, and by the trees of Springwood Park, the residence of Sir George Douglas.
English Border Towns - Jedburgh, And The Jed
Two or three miles up Teviot from the junction of Oxnam Water, we come to Jed, a beautiful stream, on whose banks dreams the pleasant county town where, close on ninety years ago, they cried that cry of which they do not now like to think—'Burke Sir Walter !'
English Border Towns - Jed (continued), Fernihirst, Raid Of The Redeswire, Otterburne
ACROSS Jed, on a high and leafy bank nearly opposite to Lintalee, stands the picturesque old stronghold of Fernihirst. The original castle was erected by Sir Thomas Ker probably about the year 1476, and the present building dates only from 1598.
English Border Towns - Ale, Rule Water, Teviot, Hawick
As we ascend Teviot, after Jed its next important tributary is the Ale, not so named from the resemblance of its waters, when flooded, to a refreshing beverage. Sir Herbert Maxwell says that the name was originally written 'Alne' (as in Aln, Alnwick) and this form survives in the place-name in Ale, Ancrum, the site of a desirable Scottish victory.
English Border Towns - Tweed, St. Boswells, Dryburgh, Newstead, And The Leader
WE now return from Teviotdale to Tweed, which we left at Kelso. The river passes through one of its rock-fenced and narrow defiles at the Trows of Makerstoun, (accent the penultimate,) itself the home from ancient days of a branch of the once great Argyll clan—and generally western clan—of Macdougal. How they came so far from their Celtic kindred, potent in Dalriadic Scotland before the Campbells...
English Border Towns - St. Boswells Green, Melrose, Darnick, Abbotsford, And The Ellwand
ALL the way up Tweed from a mile below Mertoun Bridge, up past the cauld where the pent water spouts and raves ceaselessly, along the bank where lies St. Boswells Golf Course, round that noble sweep where the river holds Dryburgh lovingly in the crook of its arm, up by the boulder-strewn streams above, and round the elbow by the foot suspension-bridge, past the lofty red scaurs and the hanging...
English Border Towns - Galashiels And The Gala, Lindean
The history of Galashiels is mainly industrial, mainly the history of the 'Tweed' trade. There were mills of a sort in the town as early as 1622, but even a hundred and fifty years later the trade cannot have greatly harmed the river ; only 170 cwt. of wool were then used in all the mills of Galashiels, and there was no such thing as the manufacture of modern 'tweeds.'
English Border Towns - Selkirk
Two miles up the river from Lindean you But this is not the route by which that approached ; by the Galashiels road, one is Selkirk almost before one is aware of any properly the old royal burgh clinging to the hill, and to realise the beauty of its situation, come from Galashiels up Tweed by the road diverging at Rink.
English Border Towns - The Ettrick, Carterhaugh, Oakwood, Tushielaw, Thirlestane, Ettrick Kirk
Oakwood Tower is not very old, and it never was very strong—as the strength of peel towers is reckoned; its walls are little more than four feet in thickness, which is almost flimsy compared with those of its near neighbour, Newark. Above the dungeons, Oakwood is three stories in height, and its external measurements are thirty-eight by twenty-three and a half feet. Into one wall is built a stone on which are the initals L'M', initials of Robert Scott and his wife, probably a Murray.
English Border Towns - Yarrow
IN whatever part you take the vale of Ettrick, there is about it, and about its scenery and its associations, a charm, different perhaps from that of the more widely famed Yarrow, yet almost equally powerful. There is in the summer season a solemnity and a peace brooding over these 'round-backed, kindly hills,' that act like a charm on the body and mind that are weary.
[Page: 601  |  602  |  603  |  604  |  605  |  609  |  610
611  |  612  |  613  |  614  |  615  |  616  |  617  |  618  |  619  |  620  | 
621  |  624  |  625  |  626  |  629  |  630  | 
631  |  632  |  633  |  634  |  635  |  638  |  639  |  640  | 
641  |  642  |  643  |  644  |  645  |  646  |  647  |  648  |  649  |  650  |  More Pages ]


Please contact us at info@oldandsold.com