Antiques Digest Browse Auctions Appraisal Home

The Colonel Jeremiah Lee House, Marblehead, Massachusetts
Marblehead was a comparatively insignificant port when Jeremiah Lee came to town. At once he made a place for himself among the humble fishermen and other seafaring men of the place.
The Old South Church, Newburyport, Massachusetts
More than one hundred years after the organization of the First Church of Newburyport, Rev. George Whitefield, then a young man of twenty-six, preached in the community.
The First Baptist Church, Providence, Rhode Island
The stately building erected in 1774 is still in use. The gallery long set apart for the use of slaves has given way to a square loft, the old pews have been displaced by modern seats, and the lofty pulpit and sounding-board have disappeared.
The Morris-Jumel Mansion, New York City
The spacious grounds that once belonged to the mansion have been sold for building lots, but the house looks down proudly as ever from its lofty site almost opposite the intersection of Tenth Avenue and One Hundred and Sixty-first Street with St. Nicholas Avenue.
The Philipse Manor House, Yonkers, New York
At first glance one would not think that the name Yonkers was derived very directly from the name of the first settlers of the region, de Jonkheer Adriaen Van der Donck.
St. Paul's Chapel, New York City
In the portico of the old church is a monument to General Montgomery, a member of St. Paul's parish, who fell at Quebec, and is buried in the chapel. This monument, which was sent from France by Benjamin Franklin, had an adventurous career.
Fraunces' Tavern, New York City
Two years later Fraunces sold the tavern, but it retains his name to this day. It is still at the corner of Broad and Pearl streets. Many changes have been made in the building, under the direction of the Sons of the Revolution, and it will continue to attract visitors as long as it stands.
The Grange, New York City
After The Grange was sold to pay debts, its career was checkered. Some years ago it was moved to the east side of Convent Avenue, and it then became the schoolhouse of St. Luke's Episcopal Church.
The Van Cortlandt House, New York City
Since the building of the Broadway subway Van Cortlandt Park has been so easy of access that the number of visitors to the historic spot has rapidly increased.
The Hasbrouck House, Newburgh, New York
The Hasbrouck house was sold by the family to New York State in 1849. For twenty-four years, by act of Assembly, the historic quarters were cared for by the trustees of the village, and later by the city authorities.
Across The Jerseys With The Patriots XXIV
There was a time when Benjamin Franklin was proud of his son William, and was glad to have his name coupled with that of the young man.
The Church At Caldwell, New Jersey
For the first ten months of its history the Caldwell church was Presbyterian, then it became Congregational, but since 1831 it has been a Presbyterian body.
Old Tennent Church, Freehold, New Jersey
Not far from the church is the monument commemorating the battle itself. Spirited bronze reliefs on this tell the story of some of the picturesque incidents of the memorable struggle.
The Ford Mansion, Morristown, New Jersey
Today the Ford Mansion where Hamilton dreamed of a conquest in which the British had no part is owned by the Washington Association of New Jersey, and is open to visitors.
Nassau Hall, Princeton, New Jersey
A few weeks later the college was left to its sedate ways. Never since then has it witnessed such stirring events. But the experiences of the years from 1776 to 1784 had made Nassau Hall one of the nation's picturesque monuments.
Three Historic Houses At Princeton, New Jersey
But there were others in the peaceful village who were not so fortunate. One of them was Mrs. Richard Stockton of Morven, a beautiful home still standing not far from the college campus.
The Springfield Meeting House, New Jersey
After the burning of the Springfield church, the pastor, Rev. Jacob Vanarsdal, gathered his people in the barn of the parsonage. Later the building was ceiled and galleries were built.
The Letitia Penn House, Philadelphia
When William Penn, English Quaker, met Gull Springett; he fell in love with her at once. In 1672 they were married.
Carpenters' Hall, Philadelphia
At length the Carpenters' Company decided that the time had come to do what the historian pleaded for. In 1857 they returned to the building, and since then they have held their meetings within the walls consecrated by the heroes of Revolutionary days.
St. Peter's Church, Philadelphia
Captain Shippen, before joining Washington's army, was captain of the privateer Hancock, which, between July 1 and November 1, 1776, sent to American ports ten prizes captured at sea.
Cliveden, Germantown, Philadelphia
In the days before the Revolution there were many residents of Philadelphia who had, in addition to a sumptuous town house, a country house, to which they could resort in the summer or at other times when they wished relief from the cares of daily life.
Old Pine Street Church, Philadelphia
One of the original trustees of Pine Street was Dr. William Shippen, Jr., first Professor of Medicine in America and Director General of all the hospitals during the war.
Independence Hall, Philadelphia
On May 10, 1775, the Second Continental Congress met in the Assembly Chamber, and took action that made inevitable the adoption of the Declaration of Independence the next year.
The David Rittenhouse Home, Near Philadelphia
This was Barlow's way of telling of the achievement of David Rittenhouse, the colonial astronomer, in fashioning the marvellous orrery, the mechanical representation of the movements of the planetary system.
The Headquarters At Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
A few rods from the beautiful Schuylkill River, at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, twenty-four miles from Philadelphia, is the quaint stone house where Washington spent nearly six months of the most trying year of the Revolution.
Three Headquarters Of Washington
During the closing months of 1777, one of the darkest times of the Revolution, Washington made famous by his occupancy three houses, all located within a few miles of Philadelphia.
Sweetbrier On The Schuylkill, Philadelphia
My residence has been . . . for more than thirty years . . . on an estate belonging to me, situated on the right bank of the Schuylkill, in the township of Blockley, county of Philadelphia, and two miles from the western part of the city.
Waynesborough, Near Paoli, Pennsylvania
Four miles from the city, he was met by the entire Troop of Philadelphia Light Horse, and escorted by them to town. On his crossing the Schuylkill, a salute of fifteen guns was fired from the Centre-square, by a party of Artillery.
The Moravian Church, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
The Moravian Community at Bethlehem has grown. But those who worship in the old church are animated by the same missionary enthusiasm that characterized those who founded the institution so long ago.
Historic Landmarks At New Castle, Delaware
There is such a town, and but oneŚNew Castle, Delaware. The Swedes laid it out in 1631, and called it New Stockholm. In 1651 the Dutch built a fort there, and called it Fort Kasimir. Sandhoec was a second Dutch name.
[Page: 201  |  202  |  203  |  204  |  205  |  206  |  207  |  208  |  209  |  210  | 
211  |  212  |  213  |  214  |  215  |  216  |  217  |  218  |  219  |  220  | 
221  |  222  |  223  |  224  |  225  |  226  |  227  |  228  |  229  |  230  | 
231  |  232  |  233  |  234  |  235  |  236  |  237  |  238  |  239  |  240  | 
241  |  242  |  243  |  244  |  245  |  246  |  247  |  248  |  249  |  250  |  More Pages ]


Please contact us at info@oldandsold.com