|Antiques Digest||Browse Auctions||Appraisal||Home|
FABRIQUE DE LA RUE DE REUILLY CHINA (1774) 1781-1800 (?)
HISTORY. In 1774 a porcelain maker named Lassia sought leave to establish a porcelain works on the rue de Reuilly, in the faubourg St. Antoine, and registered the factory mark "L." Although this date occurs as a possible beginning, there seems to have been no very considerable production of chinaware till somewhere about 1781 when Cadet, Guettard, Lalande and Fontanieu testified to the fire-resisting qualities of Lassia's porcelain. The factory was jointly directed by Lassia and Chanou when it protested against the restrictive edict of 1784. In this same year Chanou left Lassia and set up a factory of his own. Four years later, in 1788, Lassia sought to obtain the exclusive right to make stoves and mantel-pieces of porcelain, but was not successful in his quest. When the factory was discontinued is not definitely known, but it was not in operation in 1800.
THE BODY. The body was of hard paste, hard, white and of excellent quality.
THE GLAZE. The glaze was clear and evenly distributed and compared well with the glaze of other contemporary wares.
ARTICLES MADE AND CONTOUR. From Lassia's application for exclusive right to make porcelain stoves and mantel-pieces, it is evident that the factory essayed unusual things to a certain extent, in addition to the usual articles of manufacture. There were also produced in quantity tableware, tea and coffee services and vases. The contours were of the prevailing Neo-Classic type.
TYPES OF DECORATION. This factory made extensive use of grounds produced with on-glaze enamel colours. A yellow ground of this sort was especially characteristic. Many pieces were also decorated in admirably executed gilding on a white ground. The motifs most commonly used were flowers, and arabesques of Classic and Renaissance character and the designs were well adapted to the pieces.
THE MARKS. The mark of this factory was an "L" in underglaze blue or else painted in gold on the glaze. The mark of the independent works started by Chanou, when he left Lassia, was "C.H." in red on the glaze. Pieces of his work are rare, but they are of good quality and the decorations are well painted.