|Antiques Digest||Browse Auctions||Appraisal||Antiques And Arts News||Home|
LE NOVE CHINA-1762-1835
HISTORY. In 1761 or 1762 Pasquale Antonibon began to make soft paste porcelain at Nove, near Bassano, in his faience factory. Antonibon had the fortunate faculty of being able to attract men of talent to work with him, and the results of this are manifest in the china. The Antonibons, father and son, made soft-paste porcelain until 1802, when the factory passed out of their hands till 1825. The factory then reverted to the former owners and they continued to produce porcelain till 1835. After that time only faience and divers other sorts of earthenware were made.
The chinaware issuing from the Nove factory possesses great artistic distinction. The paste was a beautiful creamy white and the glaze was mellow and clear. There was great diversity in the matter of decoration. The jardiniere illustrated. is clearly in the manner of Sevres. Flower decorations are numerous, oftentimes in polychrome, occasionally in green and gold, now and again in purple. Ground colors were used very frequently and were always good. Birds, landscapes, Classical and mythological subjects likewise appear as motifs. The factory is said to have made figures in biscuit.
The mark was "Nove," either with or without a six-pointed star in blue or red or, sometimes, in gold. Occasionally the star occurs without the name. Some of the Nove China, between 1802 and 1825 when the factory was in the hands of Giovanni Baroni, has the initials "G. B." above the name "Nove."