|Antiques Digest||Browse Auctions||Appraisal||Antiques And Arts News||Home|
LIMOGES CHINA - 1783 TO PRESENT DAY HISTORY
The Limoges chinaware of modern fame started from a not very brilliant beginning. By an edict of 1783 Massie, Fourniers and Grellet were authorised to manufacture hard paste porcelain, the registered mark of the establishment being C.D. In May 1784 Louis XVI purchased the factory to be used as a branch of Sevres and the son of M.Grellet, one of the three promoters of the first undertaking, became the director, continuing in that post till 1788 when he was succeeded by M. Alluaud.
The work done at this factory was not very important. During the eighteenth century the paste was of an ivory color and the decorations usually consisted of little flowers whose coloring was not particularly distinguished although the ware was agreeable enough in its way.
The scheme of a branch factory for the establishment at Sevres seems not to have worked very well and the factory was afterwards sold. The works are still in operation and producing excellent ware.
The fame of Limoges china is really due to M. Charles Haviland who established works in 1840 to make porcelain for the American market. By his energy and well-directed enterprise he developed the industry to the highest state of perfection in manufacture and the reputation of Limoges china is eminently well deserved. As the chinaware of the period after 1840, however, does not come within the scope of this volume, the subject cannot be dealt with here. When the branch establishment was disposed of by Sevres, it was continued by M. Alluaud and is still in existence under the name of Pouyat and Alluaud. The paste and glaze were perfected, the body being a pure white, and a full palette of on-glaze colours was used. Much of this improvement was effected by the end of the eighteenth century.