|Antiques Digest||Browse Auctions||Appraisal||Antiques And Arts News||Home|
American Cut Glass Patterns - J. Hoare & Co.Author: Albert Christian Revi
( Article orginally published February 1963 )
The firm of J. Hoare & Company, Corning, New York, was originally known as Hoare, Burns & Dailey, and prior to 1863 they operated a cutting shop at the South Ferry Works in New York. They moved their operations to the Greenpoint Flint Glass Works of Brooklyn, New York, in 1863. By 1873 they had again moved the factory, this time to Corning, New York, and operated on premises belonging to the Corning Glass Company from whom they purchased glass blanks for cutting. In 1893 the business records at Corning reveal that James and John Hoare and George L. Abbott were the proprietors of J. Hoare & Company. In 1899, only James Hoare's name appears in the City Directory as associated with the firm. Mr. Abbott's name appears again on the records in 1909 as vice-president of J. Hoare & Company, and continued to be so engaged until 1911 when his name was dropped from the directory.
John Hoare patented his design for a "Bouquet-Holder or Vase", Patent #8,187, March 2, 1875. This shell-shaped receptacle, shown in the photo illustration which accompanied his patent application, was first blown in a wood or iron mold in the ordinary fashion. Afterwards the blank was obscured (frosted) and flattened or squared on the top and ornamented with ten square scallops on the outer edge or rim. From the scallops the bright cuts or lines were cut which converged toward the peg at the base of the vessel. The peg at the base of the vase was fitted into a mount of silver or other metal. In his patent enumerations, Mr. Hoare indicated that the edge of each scallop was ornamented with fine cuts, the over-all effect being that of a stylized seashell.
On January 3, 1882, John Hoare patented a design for a glass caster bottle. The main features of his design, Patent #12,651, consisted of ornamental bands or rings surrounding the body of the bottle and the vase-shaped neck and vase-shaped stopper. The engraving and cutting shown in the patent drawings seem not to be the leading features of the designs and were not even mentioned in the patent enumerations. Mr. Hoare registered two other designs for caster bottles-April 4, 1871, New York City, and June 3, 1879, Corning, New York.
George L. Abbott of Corning, New York, was issued design patent #17,110 on February 15, 1887. The design is described in the patent papers as consisting of "a panel having a uniform projection consisting of a sixteenpainted star, the points whereof are bounded by block and diamond shaped formations pointed with spread fans, between which and surrounding the central star-pointed figure the diamond formations are continually repeated."
John Hoare, on February 3, 1891, again registered a patent, #20,504, for a cut glass dish of a very ornate and beautiful design. The leading feature of the design consisted of a series of rings or links and two serpentine strips or bands extending around the wall of the bowl, the bands or strips being interlaced. The drawings accompanying the patent show that one series of the interlacing bands was diamond cut and a brilliant pattern of star-shaped designs was placed between the interlacing design and at the bottom of the bowl. The rim of the vessel is scalloped and has, at intervals, fan-shaped motifs.